The green one on the left is printed at standard resolution while the blue one on the right is a fast print. The green took about 4 hours to print and turned out great.
Just had my wisdom teeth removed. I was done about 30 minutes ago. I’m happy the anesthesia isn’t too bad for me. Very groggy but holding up just fine.
Time to relax and play some video games!
Posts have been pretty light lately. I’ve taken up some work at my new gig and it involves writing iOS apps in Objective-C. I found a fantastic book at my local Half Price books that got me rolling called Objective-C Programming by the Big Nerd Ranch group.
I’ve been paying more attention to my log files lately. What I’ve found is not surprising, just disheartening. There are a number of requests by bots and script hackers to specific pages that have been regularly exploited in the past.
Aside from keeping my platform up-to-date (this includes Apache, Linux, WordPress, and so-on) I’ve been restricting access to these potentially unsafe resources and I’ve finally put together a script to automate denying compromised hosts access to the site.
I’ve been working on a simple platforming dungeon crawler. I’m not a super game developer or an amazing artist but it’s not stopping me from building something I want to play.
In my dungeon crawler I want to do more than just whack skeletons with a big ol’ axe. I want to play with multiple people on the screen, cast spells that help my allies and hurt my foes, and I want the experience to be fun.
The EMP has an exhibit going right now that Rachael couldn’t pass up. Al and Gigi were out of school for mid-winter break and this made for an excellent opportunity to explore the vast cuteness.
I was crazy excited as soon as I heard about Final Fantasy IX re-releasing on PC with updated textures and higher resolution. Since this is my favorite Final Fantasy game I went ahead and grabbed it on iOS as soon as it came out.
I found a fantastic post here for building a parallax background in Unity.
I had a parallax background done in 5 minutes. The hardest part was figuring out if I wanted to use a plane with a texture material or something else. (I went with a plane for this one).
I found plenty of excellent articles on how to do seamless texture tiling on the web but I really didn’t need that fidelity for my project. I have a 4 color background I’m putting together that will serve as the last layer in a dungeon – it needs to be some rocks (or boulders) that will be subtle and provide depth to the scene.
So I got to work. It took awhile – maybe longer than expected but I’m happy with the result for now. I did it all manually but I rather enjoyed the process.