After looking into Unity’s 9-slice sprites I haven’t spent a lot of time (read: zero) working on my project. Turns out the 9-slice sprites really suck for grid alignment and tilemaps.
I’m moving over to use Super Tilemap Editor instead. It has some nice editing tools that I hope will be useful in designing rooms for the dungeons. Today I’m breaking my zero percent streak.
Can’t say much other than life has been fairly busy. Our kitchen remodel is finally done. It only took 3+ months of actual construction but that was after 6 months of waiting for them to get started. Now that it is done I expect to send out some invites to friends in the area for a potluck!
Game development has been slow but I have been working step by step on http://www.averagejoesoftware.com/. I have automated builds published to the site (that I’m not publicly sharing yet) and a link to a Trello bug board. I haven’t exposed the feature board yet but that’s setup too.
I’m at that point in my game development process where I have a limited number of things that must be done before I can release 0.1. This is sort of a make-it-or-break-it point in my project.
Here’s what’s on the list…
I’ve been working on a simple platforming dungeon crawler. I’m not a super game developer or an amazing artist but it’s not stopping me from building something I want to play.
In my dungeon crawler I want to do more than just whack skeletons with a big ol’ axe. I want to play with multiple people on the screen, cast spells that help my allies and hurt my foes, and I want the experience to be fun.
I found a fantastic post here for building a parallax background in Unity.
I had a parallax background done in 5 minutes. The hardest part was figuring out if I wanted to use a plane with a texture material or something else. (I went with a plane for this one).